Saturday, October 3, 2015

Salmon


As I live and breath my second most favorite food in the world has got to be Salmon. It is praised for it's health benefits, great taste and flavor.  As far as fish goes, the salmon is one friendly anadromous creature, meaning a fish born in fresh water that migrates to the sea then returns back to spawn and then die; (I looked it up).  I did not know until recently that there are only six species of Salmon and they are found in the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean, what about the salmons found in countries not bordered by either oceans you ask? Well they are farmed or are imported to those specific countries, obviously. Hence, salmon fishing in Yemen was initially conducted in a dam.

Of all the 6 species only one is found in the Atlantic - bearing the sea for it's namesake, and the other 5 come from the Pacific Ocean - the Chinook, Coho, Pink, Sockeye and the Chum. Also, salmon is very well recommended for it's great amounts of Omega 3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA - easily the fish of choice for the healthy ones and certainly the ones with cardiac maladies. 

For me, I just like it's distinct seafood taste, moderate and rich at the same time, yet healthy. I like it grilled or baked simply, with lemon or as a Niçoise and the photo below shows of one I grilled for myself with light cream sauce pasta:


No comments:

Post a Comment